Even though you might be happy with the appearance and function of your mouth, a “weak” or receding chin can unbalance your facial profile. Experienced Beverly Hills plastic surgeon Dr. Richard Ellenbogen can help you restore balance to your face through chin augmentation, among other facial plastic surgery procedures .
A chin implant can offset the aesthetic downsides of a receding chin, such as a nose that looks larger and a lack of definition in the neck. To learn more about how you might benefit from chin augmentation , please call Beverly Hills Body at 310-276-3183 today.
Causes of a ‘Weak’ Chin
If your chin is receding, it could be the result of hereditary or environmental factors, including:
- Genetic bone structure deficiency
- Bone loss tied to age
- Facial trauma
A weak chin doesn’t necessarily mean a weak mouth: You could still be able to chew and speak normally, and you might be pleased with the overall appearance of your mouth. However, a shapely chin provides greater facial definition and symmetry to the jaw line, maximizing the beauty of your lower face.
Chin Implant Procedure
Some surgeons will insert a chin implant by making an incision on the outside of the face, leaving an external scar after the procedure. In order to preserve your appearance, Dr. Ellenbogen will instead make an incision on the inside of the mouth, which means you won’t have a scar accompanying your improved chin.
Here’s the general procedure behind a chin augmentation:
- You will receive general anesthesia or a sedative (whichever fits your case best), putting you to sleep for the procedure
- An incision will be made inside the mouth along the crease joining the lower lip and gums
- Dr. Ellenbogen will then insert the implant, usually made of a synthetic material like silicone, into the pocket created by the incision
- The implant might be secured in place with sutures or surgical screws
- Dr. Ellenbogen will close the surgical area
Chin Augmentation Aftercare
After receiving your chin implant, you might encounter several common side effects that could last anywhere from a week to several months, including:
- Swelling in the chin area for up to six weeks
- Numbness for up to three months
- A tight feeling around the chin, lasting approximately a week
To keep the implant in place and prevent post-operative movement, Dr. Ellenbogen might advise you to take the following steps:
- Avoid excess chewing by adopting a liquid or soft food diet one to two days after the procedure
- Wear an external bandage covering the surgical area for one week
- Wear a brace during sleep for four to six weeks
- Wait a week to a week and a half before returning to work and/or resuming your prior active lifestyle
If you think a chin implant could help you attain your ideal appearance, please contact Beverly Hills Body today to schedule your initial consultation. Dr. Ellenbogen is proud to serve patients in Beverly Hills, Los Angeles and Hollywood, California.